Southern Gentleman Pulled Pork
Nothing says comfort food like a big dish of pulled pork. This smoky and tangy meal is so good and so simple. While cooking in your slow cooker or Instant Pot, the meat becomes so tender and flavourful, it's pretty hard to eat just one serving. The Southern Gentlemen spice blend adds a mild spice but a lot of punch from mustard seed, cumin, and coriander. Best served with a toasted bun, some coleslaw and potato salad. So dang good.
*I've made some adaptations for Instant Pot users; please experiment... liquid amounts may need to be adjusted to your taste.
- 3lbs pork picnic shoulder roast
- 1.5 tbsp Twisted Gourmet Southern Gentleman seasoning
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped roughly
- 1-2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (reduce to 1/4 cup for Instant Pot)
- 1/3 cup dark molasses (reduce to 1/4 cup for Instant Pot)
- 1/2 cup ketchup (reduce to 1/3 cup for Instant Pot)
- 1 cup hickory bbq sauce (reduce to 2/3 for Instant Pot)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 *chipotle pepper packed in adobo sauce (or 1 tbsp **chipotle sauce)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup water as needed (may not be needed for Instant Pot)
Add chopped onion & garlic to bottom of slow cooker. Rinse pork roast & pat dry. Trim excess visible fat. Rub roast all over with Southern Gentleman spice blend. Place atop the chopped onion & garlic in crock pot.
In a small bowl, combine ketchup, bbq sauce, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce & *chipotle pepper or **sauce. Mix and pour over pork. Spread the sauce around to coat the pork thoroughly. Add a bit of water if needed to cover meat, stir in. Cover crock pot with lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-9 hours.
When meat is thoroughly tender, remove lid and turn heat to high. Remove pork to platter and shred using two forks. While shredding, stir sauce occasionally as it reduces a bit. Add shredded pork back to crock pot and stir to thoroughly mix with sauce. Serve on fresh buns with grated sharp cheddar and an ice cold beer, use in tacos or create a next level breakfast burrito!
*I use one stewed chipotle from a small can of chipotles in Adobo sauce. I freeze the rest in small containers and use them as I need them. **I use La Costena canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (OR President's Choice chipotle sauce).